MI: How To Get Help With Utility Costs | Working America

MI: How To Get Help With Utility Costs


Temperatures are dropping and heating bills are getting higher, but luckily there’s a federally-funded program that helps eligible households in Michigan cover energy costs. The Michigan Energy Assistance Program (MEAP) gives eligible households a discount on energy bills and provides emergency energy assistance, weatherization, and energy-related home repairs to keep Michiganders safe and warm this winter. MEAP is part of a federally funded program called LIHEAP (Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program.) 

If you’re struggling to cover your home energy costs or have been threatened with disconnection, LIHEAP may be able to help. Both homeowners and renters may be eligible for this program. This benefit is applied directly to the household’s utility bill or bulk fuel bill.

It is important to note that LIHEAP is administered on the county level and through non-profit organizations in Michigan. Please call 211 on your phone to be connected with your local LIHEAP administrator. More information may be found here

A list of organizations that are available to help you can be found here.

If you are not able to find a provider near you, please dial 211 on your phone to be connected to a state provider. 


Utility Credit
The Home Heating Credit offers support for heating costs. Michigan Department of Treasury determines eligibility and makes payments.
Keep in mind:

  • You do not need to file a state income tax return to receive the Home Heating Credit.
  • You may apply for the Home Heating Credit only.
  • Eligibility is based on income, number of exemptions and household heating costs.

Emergency Intervention
State Emergency Relief is a crisis intervention program that provides assistance for energy-related expenses such as heating fuel, electricity and home repairs.
Eligibility is based on:

  • Demonstration of immediate need (past due/shutoff notice); or
  •  Declared need for a deliverable fuel such as fuel oil; or
  •  Verified need for energy-related home repair 
  • Income  
  • Assets.

Weatherization Assistance Program 
This program Provides free home energy conservation services to low-income Michigan homeowners and renters. Services reduce energy use and lower utility bills.  
Services typically include: 

  • Wall Insulation.
  • Attic Insulation and Ventilation.
  • Foundation Insulation.
  • Air Leakage Reduction.
  • Smoke Detectors.
  • Dryer Venting.

To be eligible for this benefit program, you must be a resident of Michigan and you must need financial assistance with home energy costs.
A person who participates or has family members who participate in certain other benefit programs, such as SNAP, SSI, TANF, automatically meets the eligibility requirement.
A person who participates in (or has family members who participate in) certain other benefit programs, such as SNAP, SSI, TANF, may be automatically eligible.


You can apply online, via an in-person appointment, over the phone, or by mail. Sign up as soon as possible by creating a profile at michigan.gov/MIBridges or by calling 211. All documents and application links can be found here. Applications are also available at your local Energy Assistance Provider, local libraries, and county departments of Job and Family Services. 

  • Proof of income for each household member 
  • Copies of your most recent utility bills
  • Proof of U.S. citizenship/legal residency for all household members. Documents that are accepted to prove U.S. citizenship/legal residency include a Social Security Card, birth certificate, U.S. Passport, naturalization paper/certification of citizenship, permanent VISA, or INS ID Card.

You will need a scanned copy or photo of your proof of income, recent utility bills, and proof of citizenship to upload to the application.


Spread the word about this program with friends, neighbors, or family members who may need some help with winter by sharing this link with benefits information: https://workam.org/MI-LIHEAP


Have unanswered questions about MEAP? Dial 2-1-1 24 hours a day/seven days a week or for more information, call 1-844-211-4994 toll free from(9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday through Friday.