Ohio: How To Get Help With Utility Costs | Working America

Ohio: How To Get Help With Utility Costs

Temperatures are dropping and heating bills are getting higher, but luckily there’s a federally-funded program that helps eligible households in Ohio cover energy costs. The Home Energy Assistance Program (HEAP) gives eligible households a discount on energy bills and provides emergency energy assistance, weatherization, and energy-related home repairs to keep Ohioans safe and warm this winter.

If you’re struggling to cover your home energy costs or have been threatened with disconnection, HEAP may be able to help. Both homeowners and renters may be eligible for this program. This one-time benefit is applied directly to the household’s utility bill or bulk fuel bill.

In order to get resources from HEAP, your combined household income must be at or less than the amount listed in the chart below. For example, if you are a household of 3 people, you must make at or below $43,505 a year to be eligible.

Size of Household Total Household Income 12 Months

1                               up to $25,515

2                               up to $34,510

3                               up to $43,505

4                               up to $52,500

5                               up to $61,495

6                               up to $70,490

7                               up to $79,485

8                               up to $88,480

For households with more than eight (8) members, add $8,995 for each additional person to calculate the income limit. A household applying for HEAP must report total gross household income for the past 30 days (12 months preferred) for all household members, except wage or salary income earned by dependent minors under 18 years old. 

A person who participates in (or has family members who participate in) certain other benefit programs, such as SNAP, SSI, TANF, may be automatically eligible.

You can apply online, via an in-person appointment, over the phone, or by mail. All documents and application links can be found here: https://development.ohio.gov/individual/energy-assistance/apply-now-energy-assistance-programs

Applications are also available at your local Energy Assistance Provider,  local libraries, county departments of Job and Family Services, and Area Agencies on Aging.


  • Proof of income for each household member. Income includes Supplemental Security Income (SSI), Social Security Disability Income (SSDI), Social Security, Pension, Alimony, Wages, Self-employment, Unemployment, etc.
  • Copies of your most recent utility bills
  • A list of all household members, including Social Security numbers and birth dates
  • Proof of U.S. citizenship/legal residency for all household members. Documents that are accepted to prove U.S. citizenship/legal residency include a Social Security Card, birth certificate, U.S. Passport, naturalization paper/certification of citizenship, permanent VISA, or INS ID Card.

You will need a scanned copy or photo of your proof of income, recent utility bills, and proof of citizenship to upload to the application.

Spread the word about this program with friends, neighbors, or family members who may need some help with winter by sharing this link with benefits information: https://development.ohio.gov/individual/energy-assistance

Need help applying? Support services are available to assist you at (800) 282-0880. For the hearing-impaired dial 711.

Once you submit your application, you can check its status here.